Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 01:33:25 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: hub.freebsd.org spam policy

On 5 Apr 2002, at 18:05, Greg 'groggy' Lehey boldly uttered:

> On Thursday,  4 April 2002 at 22:19:20 -0800, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
> > On 5 Apr 2002, at 15:17, Greg 'groggy' Lehey boldly uttered:
> >
> > I gave you examples, I provided the reasons, showed you the RFCs,
> > talked about specific alternatives - you snipped *everything* that
> > supported my position.  Sounds to me like your mind was made up
> > before you wrote the first word.
>
> No, it looks like you don't understand the issues.

Easy for you to say.  So let's hear you define what "the issues" are
then.

> I saw no convincing (even well-put) arguments, no specific alternatives.  Come
> up with a plan of how to solve the problem and we'll listen to you.

Allow me to refresh your memory.  Perhaps it is the lack of
attributions which is complicating matters. :-)

Phil wrote:

> I'm sure you are aware of DNS email blacklists.  The problem with many
> of these is that their only criteria is whether a host is an "open
> relay" or not.  The problem is that a host could sit there as an open
> relay for 5 years and never send a single spam message.  So the
> likelihood of "collateral damage" is high.  Likewise site-wide filters
> that match on things like "make money fast" strings.  While you might
> get a low percentage of false positives, you will undoubtedly
> eventually block legitimate traffic.

OK - I am providing some information here on a different methodology
(DNS-based blacklists) and why some of these, and certain static
filters, are problematic.

> So for example there are DNS blacklists which only put a host in their
> block list when they have received a copy of spam which has in fact
> been relayed through it.  This is better.

Now I am saying that there are DNS-based blacklists which use
stricter criteria which are more desirable. (ie possibly a better
alternative to what freebsd.org is using)

One example of a DNS blacklist that only lists hosts which have
verifiably relayed spam is relays.visi.com.  Probably one of the most
useful is spamcop, who actually apply intelligent criteria to hosts,
ie weighting depending on the amount of traffic they carry.  (One of
my eternal frustrations about typical "anti-spam zealots" is their
absolutist view of the world: they don't care if a single spam
traversed Dick & Harry's ISP or a massive AOL server.  I say that as
long as you don't have evidence the latter is just giving an open
door to spammers, cut them a little slack because they do 100,000
times the traffic that Dick & Harry's ISP does)

http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml

> Better yet are systems like
> Brightmail which have probes feeding spam to a bunch of human-beings
> that make the decision that it's spam, and then send back rules to the
> participating sites to block it while it's being sent out.  The
> problem with Brightmail is that it is commercial and it costs money.
> However there is a public-domain variant that has been put together, I
> can get details on this if anyone is interested.

Once again, you apparently didn't read my writing.  Or you decided
you weren't interested in the information I said I was willing to get
details on.

> Even filters can be used if they are used conservatively -- but
> needless to say I don't consider the one that bit me to be
> conservative enough.

Obviously you feel that there is absolutely nothing that can be
improved with the current filtering scheme, or else you might have
been at least a tiny bit *curious* about what my thoughts were about
what filters I consider OK and which I don't.  All ears?

So the questions are:

A) does freebsd.org use DNS blacklists or not
B) if yes to the above, which ones
C) does freebsd.org use any measures other than static filtering
D) does freebsd.org keep statistics on how often a filter triggers

I'm not going to spend hours making suggestions just so someone can
sit back and say "oh, we tried that", or "oh, we're already using
that".  I don't feel like playing that game, please inform us what
you're doing now so as not to waste everyone's time.

Obviously if a particular filter is not triggering much, and if it's
catching a lot of non-spam messages, that filter should be on the top
of the list to dump.  Therefore obviously I'm interested in the
statistics of the one that bit me - ie the @localhost one.  Then
logically you'd want to do an analysis to ascertain what percentage
of the spam messages blocked by that filter would be caught by
another filter.

As a contrast, I'll tell you a filter I use here that I see virtually
no false-positives on: if a message subject header has more than 10-
20 consecutive spaces prior to the end of the line, I consider it
spam. (there is virtually no legitimate reason to construct a subject
header that way on purpose, but spammers frequently do this so they
can hide strings at the end to make the header unique, in an attempt
to bypass message-specific filters)

From your other message:

> :0
>
> :0
> * ^From: .*@hotmail.com
> /home/grog/Mail/caughtspam

Alright, I'm not a procmail expert, but I'm guessing that the order
of the rules above matters, and that you are just siphoning off stuff
that says the From: address is @hotmail.com but never actually
traverses the hotmail.com network, correct?  (I sure hope you're not
just blocking all of hotmail, that would be crazy.)

One other thing bears mention here: rather than bouncing everything
that matches the recipe, you are shoving it into a junk folder.  This
is a good policy for end-users, because inevitably some good messages
will get mistakenly filtered by the recipe.  But in the case of the
filtering done at hub.freebsd.org, THERE IS NO such fallback, because
it is bouncing matching messages back to the sender.  This makes it
even *more* important that these filters don't block legitimate
email, because there is no "alternate path". (particularly since the
filters are applied to the postmaster@freebsd.org address, which I
think is a bad idea and counter to longstanding practice, and even to
recommendations in RFC-2821, as I pointed out earlier)

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium