Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 1996 11:50:54 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        kaleb@x.org (Kaleb S. KEITHLEY)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /dev/tty and nits in 2.2-960501-SNAP

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY stands accused of saying:

> > Something is wrong, but not in 2.2 source. From 2.2 MAKEDEV:
> > 	mknod tty	c 1 0;	chmod 666 tty;		chown root.wheel tty
> > It seems that something wrong happens with distribution making.
>
> Yup, that's not the way they came out of the tar file. I used --unlink
> to remove the 2.1 files before extracting the SNAP version.

Ah.  You didn't run the 2.2 installer, you just unpacked the distfiles?

None of the archivers in use (tar, cpio, pax) can handle the large minor
numbers used by some devices in /dev, which is why the installer
remakes everything after it's unpacked it.

Note also that your /etc/sysconfig will be out of sync with the /etc/rc*
files because it's automagically generated by the installer.

> Yup, /.cshrc is the culprit.

That should be /root/.cshrc, surely?