Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 1996 16:20:06 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com, terry@lambert.org
Cc:        current@freefall.freebsd.org, darrylo@sr.hp.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: 2.2-ALPHA install failure

>> Or atleast make size == cyl * sec * head  (ie 1024*64*255 == 16711680)
>> my reasoning is that any third party fdisk program that sees the current
>> bogus table likes to try and ``fix it'' and usually ends up doing quite
>> the wrong thing : -(.
>
>This is bogus.
>
>Why can't I just ioctl the (unpartitioned) raw disk device and ask it?

Because the driver doesn't know anything about the BIOS geometry.
For SCSI drives, the ioctl returns the geometry reported by the SCSI
MODE_SENSE command.  This has nothing to do with the BIOS geometry,
and can't be the same as the BIOS geometry even by accident for modern
drives with an average of >= 64 sectors/track.

The driver doesn't know anything about the BIOS geometry because it
doesn't know the correspondence between BIOS drive numbers and FreeBSD
drive numbers.  The BIOS numbers depend on the POST order (see many old
postings by Terry :-).

Bruce