Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:35:33 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   some -current profile data...

I'm trying to spot a defect part in the disk system on my fileserver,
so I have it running a "dd if=/dev/ad$i of=/dev/null bs=8k" on five
disks in parallel.

I noticed that this maxed out the CPU, so just to see what the kernel
does these days I compiled it with BB profiling [gcc -a, kernbb(8)]
and chewed on the results:

This shows the number of instruction bytes executed and the function
which gcc attributes them to when compiling with "-g".

Notice that some instruction bytes take longer time than others,
it is not a perfect profiling metric, but it surely says something
about where we spend our time.

I'm sufficiently surprised about "spec_vnoperate" that I have decided
to optimise the devfs case for that one.

"getit" is from DELAY() I belive.

Others may be able to spot other targets...

Poul-Henning

   43314522342 syscall
   35476414198 lockmgr
   26753579584 mi_switch