Date:      Sun, 06 Aug 2000 14:52:12 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, shigeru@iij.ad.jp
Subject:   Re: Ricoh RL5C475 PCI-PCMCIA adaptor and interrupts

In message <20000806204051.A805@linnet.org> Brian Candler writes:
: (1) Why was the ISA interrupt bit previously being set, instead of cleared?
: Presumably some PCI cards do need it that way. It would be good to work out
: which ones don't, like mine, and which ones do.

Don't know.

: (2) Worse, what if there are other boards based on the Ricoh RL5C475 which
: need the bit to be set? It would be hard or impossible to determine this
: from the PCI ID, so you'd have to make it a user-settable flag :-(

Yes.  That's going to make things tough.  In the future, we'll not
kick these cards into legacy '365 emulation mode, so a temp hack like
this is OK for now.  However, I don't think this hack works :-(.

I think you'll have to check to see if an interrupt is allocated to
the card and do this trick if one isn't.  My laptop has a 475 in it
and it works 100% of the time w/o this bit set, so something better
must be done.  I'm fairly certain that enabling this code on my laptop
would make it fail 100% of the time (since I recall having to add it
to make it work there).

: Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though. I hope that somebody
: more familiar with these sorts of cards will pick this up and apply a
: suitable fix.

I'll have to test this on my laptop.  I think this is more generically
a pci config issue.

I'll look into a better patch that works for me as well.  I also have
a couple of PCI cardbus bridges on pci cards that have similar
problems to this.  I'll see if this tweak fixes them.

What does dmesg say for you when you boot?  I'm interested only in the
pcic-pci* line(s).

Warner