Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 1995 02:18:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        robinson@nrnsinc.on.ca
Cc:        altitude@umich.edu, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Exabyte 8505

> Hello,
>
> > i was wondering what i need to do to get an Exabyte 8505 to work on a
> > FreeBSD system (i'm running 2.0R but will be running 2.0.5-SNAP soon).
> >
> > Currently, when i try to access the tape in any way, it says either device
> > busy or :
> >
> > #mt status
> > 7: unknown tape drive type
>
> I haven't tried this on FreeBSD, but to add an 8205 on a SunOS 4.1.x
> machine, we needed to add the following to the st_conf.c file.

[SUN specific changes deleted]

The freebsd SCSI code is TOTALLY different from the SUN code..
version 2.0R had some serious bugs
many were cleared up by 2.0.5
but I think there are a couple of them still to go.

FreeBSD doesn't support (yet) turning compression on or off.
you're stuck with the drive default.

julian