Date:      Thu, 07 Jun 2001 23:36:17 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        "Ron S Betts Jr" <rojah@qwest.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware Compression Of Tape Drives

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 17:34:47 -0600  "Ron S Betts Jr" wrote:
 +------------------
 | I have a question concerning how to backup my data using hardware
 | compression. I have Colorado 2.5/5G ide tape device. How do I
 | 1)backup using HARDWARE Compression WITHOUT using 3rd party software?
 | 2)if I use hardware compression with tar do I need to enable "z" flag or
 | would that complicate things?
 +------------------

I guess that you know that FreeBSD can "see" the device.  It should be
reported in the output of dmesg or in your /var/log/messages file.

Most tape devices default to using their best compression.  But often it is
hard to tell if they are.  You could write data to the tape from
/dev/urandom to learn how much data to expect.  Running something like

    dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/rwst0 bs=4096

might help you learn how much data to expect to write to the tape.
Note that the output of /dev/urandom is not very compressable. In
practice you might expect to write around 20% more data.

Using the z flag in tar will only be confusing if you forget to
use it when you read the tape.

--
    Chris Fedde