Date:      Thu, 11 May 1995 10:29:22 +0300
From:      kallio@jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
To:        Plyaskin Sergey <splyaski@cmp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. NetBSD

>I'm just curious:
>What are the main differences between FreeBSD and NetBSD? in which cases
>it's better to use one or another? I personally like FreeBSD very much but
>it's would be very interesting to hear the opinion of people who know both
>systems.
>Thanks.
>P.S. I know NetBSD runs on variety of platforms.

I too would like to hear people's opinions about NetBSD, FreeBSD and Linux
differences. I have been looking these three about one year now and first I
got impression that Linux is the only one (I am in Finland ;-) ). Then I
found NetBSD 0.9 and after that FreeBSD 2.0. I have never found any
descriptions what are the "real" differences (or example: is one better for
personal use and one better for server). Maybe it is like cars: "My is the
best";-)

NetBSD is version 1.0 and FreeBSD is version 2.0 :-)

NetBSD is more hardware independent, more ports on different hardware.

NetBSD is not as easy to install as FreeBSD is: You have to collect bindist
etc. and install it by "hand". You have to configure network by editing
things in /etc/ and so on.

=46reeBSD 2.0 is very easy to install using ftp. (As Linux is, if you can
mount Linux distribution with NFS).

NetBSD does not support more than 16M of RAM if you use ISA disk
controllers. (It cannot do "buffer bounching" (sp?) for disk buffers. ISA
cannot address more than 16M RAM with DMA). Not a problem if you choose the
hardware correctly, I had old h/w and it was a problem. (*I am not expert
on PC harware*).

I think they do NetBSD more for "server" use. That is: to use the NetBSD
node as Internet server. I think FreeBSD (and Linux) is more one user Unix
box for personal use with XFree86. Maybe this was true only on FreeBSD
1.x?? FreeBSD 2.0 seems very same as NetBSD 1.0 in that respect.

These are my personal impressions based on:

1. I have test installed NetBSD 0.9 and NetBSD 1.0.

2. I am running FreeBSD 2.0 as a httpd server (NCSA htppd + CERN
httpd&cache + one file reguest in 3 seconds)

3. I am running Linux Slackware 2.1 as student's time sharing node for
pine+tin+irc+... users (700 active users, max 30 at same time). (h/w:
486DX2, 50-66MHz, 32M RAM, 2G SCSI AHA 1540A/1542CF, SMC Elite)

4. I have been listening people who have used or test installed at least
two from the NetBSD, FreeBSD and Linux

I like FreeBSD. I think Linux has some network and memory allocation/Swap
problems + no shadow passwd. I have plan to move from Linux to FreeBSD in
the student's node. My next box (If I will have next one) will run FreeBSD
(or maybe NetBSD).

I think one difference is: Linux is most used, FreeBSD is next and NetBSD
is the last (Or is this true, has someone any figures?)

I am a Macintosh user so I have some interest for PowerPC and hope NetBSD
will be ported on it on some day.

Seppo Kallio (kallio@jyu.fi)
U of Jyvaskyla
=46inland

PS. Unix is not h/w dependend, so why run it only Inside Intel?