Date:      Fri, 29 Apr 2011 13:08:20 -0400
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Devin Teske <dteske@vicor.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [RELEASE] New Boot-Loader Menu

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 18:53:11 -0700
Devin Teske <dteske@vicor.com> wrote:

> Hello fellow hackers,
>
> I'd love to finally release (under the BSD license) my code for the revamped FreeBSD boot loader menu.
>
> Here's a detailed discussion of the release complete with pictures:
> http://devinteske.com/new-freebsd-boot-loader-menu

Got it, nice simple install (as promised), and it worked like a charm.

I'd like to revisit the numbers vs. letters for menu options. IIRC
(and I may not), an earlier version used letters for the menu options,
and people objected to that change.

Since we're changing the menus, we ought to look at which is best for
the end user, as opposed to just doing what feels comfortable to us as
old users.

In particular, there was a study done around '80 (I tried to find it
but couldn't; I know of someone who can probably provide a reference
if someone really wants it) that showed that menu selection with
letters assigned mnemonically are easiest for users to memorize.

Not really a major issue - you shouldn't be booting FreeBSD systems
all that often, so it's not something I care very much about. However,
I figure someone ought to at least speak up for using system that's
better for new users rather than quietly doing it the old way since
we're making a change anyway.

   <mike
Independent Software developer/SCM consultant, email for more information.