Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 1997 02:52:27 +0100 (MET)
From:      Johan Larsson <gozer@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Rob Nelson <rob@mag-net.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3com 3c509 card

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 15, 1997 at 09:15:09AM -0800, Rob Nelson wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Eric Fosdike wrote:
> >
> >> This card is flagged as 'buggy' by the kernel install options. What is
> >> causing it to be buggy? We are looking to roll out a large number of BSD
> >> boxes with 3com 509 cards in. Where exactly is the problem with these
> >> cards?
> >
> > We have used both the 3Com 509 combo as well as the TP cards on several
> > FreeBSD boxes with no problems.
>
> Same here.  I've been using one for years.
>
> > They work very well.  I think the "buggy" designation is a leftover
> > from earlier revisions of the driver.
>
> A while back I'd get hangs from time to time (I needed to down and up
> the interface to unwedge it), but I haven't had that for a long time.
> I'd agree with your assessment.  I'm copying -hackers for comment.

I have had this problem alot lately, and also a problem with the input
network load to be around 30-90kByte/sec constantly! :( But this night i
tracked the problem down to be in the later versions of if_ep.c and
if_epreg.h . I am now running my current with the 1.62 of if_ep.c and the
1.21 of if_epreg.h . This works! I haven't had time to track down _what_
exactly that's been done lately with this driver. Perhaps the people
responsible of it could tell us more.

So my suggestion is that you _don't_ ship your computers with 3com cards,
at least not the 509.

	Johan
--
  * mailto:gozer@ludd.luth.se * http://www.ludd.luth.se/users/gozer/ *