Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 2013 11:42:55 -0600
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Dan Mack <mack@macktronics.com>
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bhyve console question

HI Dan,

> Yes, the current bhyve-manual has that as a step in the configuration
> (http://bhyve.org/bhyve-manual.txt) which I guess is the culprit. I
> guess I just didn't expect that side effect but admit to not spending
> much time thinking about it first :-)

  I think it was done that way since /dev/console will always work,
whereas the tty line to use changed at one point when we cut over from
the ISA uart device to the PCI uart device resulting in a different tty
device being used. However, it looks like we may switch back to using a
PCI-ISA bridge device and that will change things again :(

  For now, you can edit the stock /etc/ttys as follows:

-ttyu2  "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
+ttyu2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on  secure

later,

Peter.