Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 1999 05:02:52 -0800
From:      "Jay Nordwick" <nordwick@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to force ppp to hangup?

I am using userland ppp and sometime I cannot get the modem to force
a disconnect.  I have tried doing a 'close' and/or 'down' but ofter, after
the other modem has disconnected, mine insists on screaming down the line
for up to two minutes it seems.

I have tried cat'ing directly to the device and also going into term mode, but
the modem does not ack back when I give it commands.

I am using a USR 56 Flex PNP, if that makes a difference.

What is the difference between 'down' and 'close'?

-jay