Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 20:00:51 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        past@netmode.ntua.gr
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>, Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Subject:   Re: IrDA and FreeBSD

Panagiotis Astithas wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 09:04:45AM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> > The findchip thing would be nice..
>
> Will do then.
>
> > one way is to simply boot with -v and look at the PNP IDs that the BIOS
> > returns.
> > (what I did)
>
> Actually I have done that, too. From the many PnP devices that the
> system reported as "unknown" and "can't assign resources" or
> "failed to probe", I believe that the important one is this:
>
> PNP0510: adding io range 0x2f8-0x2ff, size=0x8, align=0x1
> PNP0510: adding irq mask 00x8
> PNP0510: end config
> pnpbios: handle 19 device ID PNP0510 (1005d041)

you need to enable the FIR mode from the BIOS to get  the PNP ID
for the fast part of the chip.. 510 is just a UART attached to the IR port
which is the SIR (slow IR :-) interface.

> But although sio1 picks it up, the result later on is:
>
> unknown: <PNP0510> can't assign resources
> unknown: <PNP0510> at port 0x2f8-0x2ff on isa0
>
> Or maybe I should disable sio1, in order to get something to
> attach to it?
> >From /sys/isa/sio.c I found that PNP0510 is a "Generic IRDA-compatible
> device", which doesn't help much about the chip it uses.
> Is there somewhere a complete list of PnP IDs?

yes/no.

> > there's a few of us working on IrDA
> >
> > yes we CAN use the ng_tty node for the low speed SIR
> > implimentation.(And we plan on doing so for  systems that
> > only have the tty interface. Most laptops these days have
> > a more comprehensive IrDA chip/module and require more specific
> > driving.
> > It does make it possible to do the IrDA protocols over
> > a serial link (or even just a serial Ir  Link)
> > This aproach can work with some devices.
> >
> > We have similar functionality however aleady with the toshiba 'oboe'
> > chip module and probably will soon with the SMC IRCC (v1) chip
> > which allows us to talk with other devices..
> >
> > The actual work is being done on:
> > irda@big.endian.de
> > with 3 people at this moment.
> > me,
> > Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net> (doing the oboe) and
> > Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de> (doing the IRCC).
> >
> > Both chips are probing and the oboe is receiving data from a palm pilot.
> > I don't have any irda devices (just the laptop) but am netgraph
> > consultant :-)
>
> I'm sure that'll do :-)
>
> > We will write a netgraph enabled driver for each chip, until
> > we have a better idea of what the commone elements are at which point
> > we may extract out a common netgraph/irda-phys module to support
> > all the chips. That is assuming we find commonality.. Linux has
> > but our choice of selecting common code
> > may turn out to be different from theirs so we are not just copying.
>
> Great, that's what I thought. I have a couple of cellular phones with
> infrared ports myself, and I can borrow a few PDAs to test as well. If
> you want me to test anything or port stuff to -stable (I don't have
> any -current machines at the moment), I'll be glad to be of assistance.
> I will keep you posted on any progress I make.

first find your IR device number from the BIOS :-)
(Actually the findchip program amy be fun...)

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org