Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:07:39 +0100
From:      "Colin J. Raven" <colin@kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl>
To:        Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports

On Feb 13 at 12:07, Erik Norgaard remarked sagely:

> Grant Peel wrote:
>
>> if I am putting together a new server, and need some x-tra args added to
>> the mysql, php and apache sequence (i.e. addming the frontpage patch to the
>> apache build) .. how would one do this in the port(s)?
>
> The options are unfortunately not always too well documented.

You sir, have an awesome and enviable talent for understatement! :)

> Some ports open a menu on your first install and lets you choose the options
> you want. Your options are stored in a configure file for next time you
> upgrade. This is the new way and should be expected in the future.

[singing] "Can't stop...thinkin' about tomorrow!" [/singing]

> Compiling apache with frontpage, you install your favorite flavour of apache,
> then mod_frontpage. AFAIK, all the www/mod_ ports are modules for apache.

I have a funny (funny only in retrospect) story about apache, modules,
and frontpage. In an earlier version of FreeBSD/Apache - having more
courage than knowlege - bravely installed the frontpage module and
irreperably blew up Apache forever. A complete reinstall was
(regrettably) necessary. It was a lot more painful then than
now...or...umm...perhaps I know a tad more now, than back then :).
Nonetheless, I've never gone near the frontpage module since!
(sad, since I do so like FP personally)

Regards,
-Colin
--