Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 22:13:49 -0700
From:      "Mud Bone" <joeyslopp@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   setting up a .jsp environment w/tomcat, j2sdk, jserv

This is my first time posting to the mailing list, so please excuse me if
this email is misplaced.

I have recently installed freebsd, and wanted to install tomcat, j2sdk, and
jserv so I can teach myself java server pages.  I have an updated ports
tree; however, when I try to install the above ports I get either ***error
code 1 or 2 on /usr/ports/java.

I found help in mIRC, and was instructed to install the linux binary and
download the .tar's for tomcat, j2sdk, and ant.  (I was also told that the
tomcat port was messed up).  I also needed to create a symbolic link to 3
directories from these 3 installs.  /usr/local/tomcat, /usr/local/ant,
/usr/local/jdk; however, I get "no match for ln" when I try to do a symbolic
link from the installed directory to the 3 new directories I created above.
I think my problem is that (according to the man pages) I can link source
file to target directory, and not directory to directory.  I tried something
like this:

ln -s /usr/home/me/tomcat1.4 [/usr/local/tomcat]

I guess I just need some things cleared up if possible.  Ie; symlinks, and
best way to setup a .jsp environment.  I've searched for documentation on
this, but seem to have run into a snag.  Please let me know if this email is
better suited on another list (newbies-bsd???).  Also if my email lacks
information, let me know and I will beef it up.

Thank you for your time,
joeyslopp