Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 1995 11:50:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        scott@statsci.com
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using amanda from ports

Scott Blachowicz wrote:

> Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com> wrote:
>
> > I am having trouble getting amanda configured and running here.  I have
> > an Exabyte 8200 tape drive connected to an NCR 53C810 based adapter and
>
> I was doing exactly the same thing last night...
>
> > am running -stable as of 9/9.  The problem I'm having is getting amanda
>
> ...but I'm using 2.0.5R.
>
> > to label a tape (via amlabel).  It always complains thusly:
>
> > #amlabel pmr VOL001
> > rewinding, writing label VOL001amlabel: rewinding tape: Input/output error
>
> I think I did this
>
> 	mt blocksize 32768
>
> to avoid that. Whether or not that's the correct thing to do is another
> question.

Well, I have gotten amlabel to work, though it took a hack to tapefd_rewind()
to retry failed rewind attempts.  It seems that on my system the first
ioctl to the /dev/nrstx (no-rewind) device will fail and the second one
works.  I put a temp hack in tapefd_rewind() to simply sleep a second then
retry the ioctl and that seems to be working (it still fails if I leave
out the sleep).  Perhaps some day when I have more time I can take a look
into why the first one always fails :-(

> > an amcheck evokes the following response:
> >
> > #amcheck pmr
> > Amanda Tape Server Host Check
> > -----------------------------
> > /usr8/amanda/work: 906638 KB disk space available, that's plenty.
> > ERROR: /dev/nrst1: not an amanda tape.
> >        (expecting a new tape)
> >        NOTE: skipping tape-writeable test.
> >        Server check took 37.242 seconds.
> >
> >        Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> >        --------------------------------
> >        WARNING: obiwan: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
>
> I got that too and did some poking around. Seems it needs an entry in the
> /etc/inetd.conf to fire off the /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amandad daemon. I
> think I also added an entry to the /etc/services file for it. I found hints
> about the services file entry in the log file that got created from just
> running amdump to see what happened. Hmmm...shouldn't the pkg_add process take
> care of updating system config files like those?

Ok, I have setup /etc/inetd.conf, /etc/services, and the necessary
.rhosts file to let this get a bit farther.  Now, unfortunately,
when I try the amcheck command I get sig 11's in the amandad daemon.
If I simply execute the program from the command line it works ok
so I suspect that I am still having configuration problems.  What
userid are others using for the dumpuser?  I am currently trying
operator.  Should I setup bin so that I use it (apparently the
amanda default)?

> That said, I haven't quite gotten it to work yet, but I'm further along. I'm
> running this on a home system, so there's one system with a few discs to back
> up and no space for a holding disk. I haven't figured out if this is
> reasonable or even possible yet, but I wanted to see what amanda did. I'll
> probably end up punting back to dump or tar or cpio or whatever given the
> small scale of things here.

Though I have quite a bit more I'm trying to backup, I too may
simply stay with dump/restore if things don't get better soon.
:-(

> Hope this helps a little...

Thanks, it did...

--