Date:      Mon, 13 May 1996 14:54:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Valentin Lisjak <Lisko@SInet.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alias IP_number

On Mon, 13 May 1996, Valentin Lisjak wrote:
> I'd like to know how many alias IP numbers, could be applied to the
> ethernet interface. I'm currently running 26 aliases. If it's possible,
> explain me, how are theese aliases stored in kernel: list, tree, ... ?
> I'm very interested in this information, because with a lot of hits
> to many different aliases, performance degradation could be quite a
> big problem.

I wrote a script that aliased several thousand IPs to various interfaces.
I didn't see any problem. (more mbuf clusters were allocated and used)

To alias more than a couple hundred takes a good bit of time, so
consider that to be the factor in how many you put on a machine.
I don't want to wait 20 minutes while the box adds aliases. :)

I guess the correct answer to your question is "enough".

Have a good one.

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|