Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:46:21 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   4.4BSD Book's Chapter 2 is NOT public Domain

[Copied to -doc, since it's appropraite

 Was Subject: Re: cvs commit: doc/ru_RU.KOI8-R/books/design-44bsd Makefile book.sgml fig1.eps fig2.eps freebsd.dsl]

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 17:39:39 +0300, Alexey Zelkin wrote:

> > Woah!  Do you have permission from the publisher?
>
> Hmm... Don't FreeBSD Documentation Project's permissions can be shared
> on this translation ? If no -- how we can get such permission ?

No way.  Don't know how you got that from the license in the document:

| The second chapter of the book, The Design and Implementation of the
| 4.4BSD Operating System is excerpted here with the permission of the
| publisher.  No part of it may be further reproduced or distributed
| without the publisher's [1] express written permission.

The problem is that sole translation rights may have been licensed in
some countries.

The Japanese translation (completed yet?) was done with permission, but
required some investigation with the folks to whom the Japanese
translation was licensed.

Ciao,
Sheldon.

[1] Publisher: Peter Gordon <peter.gordon@awl.com>