Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 1997 13:09:17 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Gregory M. Shaffer" <gshaffer@nosc.mil>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, gshaffer@cod.nosc.mil
Subject:   Re: ATAPI ZIP Drives

(Please wrap your messages at less than 80 columns)

> My SCSI ZIP disk broke down. Before I replaced it I looked through the mailing lists
> archives to see if the "IDE" ZIP disks were supported (they are) so I when out and
> bought one. I added the approriate info to my config file and rebuilt and installed
> the new kernel. When I boot the system I get the following:
>
> wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
> wdc0: unit 0 (atapi): <IOMEGA  ZIP 100       ATAPI/23.D>, removable, intr, iordis
>
> No device is assigned to the disk (I would exepct to see wd0) and I cannot access
> the disk. I also noticed that the ZIP probes as an ATAPI device. Does FreeBSD
> support ATAPI ZIP drives?

No.  The older Zip drives supported an IDE mode, which is supported (to
a degree), however Iomega have dropped this in more recent models.
There is considerable interest in pursuing ATAPI disk support, however
the "right" way is quite a lot of work, and volunteers are being
solicited to participate in this.

mike