Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2013 11:05:39 +0200
From:      David Demelier <demelier.david@gmail.com>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Trond_Endrest=C3=B8l?= <Trond.Endrestol@fagskolen.gjovik.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS mounting failed with error 2

2013/4/10 Trond Endrest=C3=B8l <Trond.Endrestol@fagskolen.gjovik.no>:
> On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 10:16+0200, David Demelier wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I have tried to create a GPT partition scheme on my machine. I've
>> created some dataset like that :
>>
>> tank/usr
>> tank/usr/ports
>> tank/usr/src
>> tank/var/
>> tank/var/log
>>
>> (Please note that is a test on a virtual machine before applying to a
>> real machine).
>>
>> I've tried to generate the zpool.cache like that:
>>
>> zpool import -o cachefile=3D/tmp/zpool.cache -o altroot=3D/mnt -f
>> cp /tmp/zpool.cache /mnt/boot/zfs/
>>
>> And then tried to set mount point to legacy and bootfs with :
>>
>> zfs set bootfs=3Dtank tank
>> zfs set mountpoint=3Dlegacy tank
>>
>> The following commands made a lot of warnings :
>>
>> zfs set mountpoint=3D/usr tank/usr
>> zfs set mountpoint=3D/var tank/var
>>
>> After, the import on the livecd shell generated the error :
>>
>> cannot mount '/mnt/var': failed to create mountpoint.
>>
>> I must say that it is very hard to make a ZFS working machine, there
>> are a lot of pages on the Wiki and most of them are a little bit
>> outdated..
>
> Try to use /tmp/mnt as a temporary altroot. /tmp should be writeable.
> Not sure about / within the livecd env.

But the FreeBSD installer says to mount over /mnt before exiting the shell.

> When you set mountpoints using the above commands, the filesystems are
> actually being mounted at their specified mountpoint.

Yes that was a probable issue, I will unmount everything before trying
a new install.

> Unless the filesystems contain some actual files, more to the point,
> critical files, i.e. libraries and executables, then you are out of
> luck.
>
> My own blog entry is a bit (out)dated, but maybe it's worth a look:
>
> http://ximalas.info/2011/10/17/zfs-root-fs-on-freebsd-9-0/

Now I currently have 504 Gateway Timeout going to your website, I will
try at home maybe my corporate firewall is blocking this.

Regards,

--
Demelier David