Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 2014 23:16:02 -0400
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@beta.com>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Plans for standardizing digital/analog I/O?

This is probably best suited for a more generic list, but given digital
and analog I/O are at the core of many of the ARM based development
boards out there, I figured I'd ask here first...

Is anyone talking about standardizing the various I/O framworks that
exist/are being built? Or, perhaps more correctly,standardizing the
_interfaces_ to the various I/O frameworks?

To use the BBB as an example platform, the digital I/O work seems to use
the gpio[ctl] framework, while the ADC uses sysctl under the new/current
driver. I haven't looked at PWM outputs yet. Finally, given that I have
passthrough driver for the various Velleman I/O boards (the 110, 140,
and 167) which allow the application to speak the various protocols to
the boards (not to mention allowing me to plug in 5V and 12V things in
to the 1.8V BBB world without much modification), I'm discovering there
are at least 6 ways to do I/O in my world, and I'm guessing there are a
lot more if I were to keep digging.

So, I'm curious if anyone is working on or proposing a more generic, or
at least standard, kernel interface to plug in to? Perhaps sysctls are a
way to go, or a set of /dev/hwio/* entries. I'd also be interested in
hearing anyone's thoughts on the matter, should I decide to go off and
build something, either in kernel or user space, to unify these spaces
for the ease of application programming.
                   -B