Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 1996 01:23:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Chris Cappuccio <ccappuc@satelnet.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Fri, 29 Mar 1996, Chris Cappuccio wrote:

> I need a little help getting a hewlett packard deskjet 500
> printer working under -current (nothing to do with the fact
> that it's current or 2.1 or whatever, just that its kind of
> strange..) I can't get he baud rate adn such set correctly
> in printcap and once I do, how would I print from applications such as umm netscape or
> something.. (ghostscript PS-->PCL?) .. hewlett pakards support goes
> as far as to tell me that they dont reccomend their prindeters
> for use in a unix environment and that they offer no assistance in
> doing so..heh..

I have a DJ 500C and it is working perfectly.

I use apsfilter to get it to print postscript from Netscape.  apfilter
uses ghostscript to get the data converted over.

I do believe the Handbook has something to say about getting these
online; they're no different from normal printers, other than you do have
to make an allowance to convert LF -> CR/LF.