Date:      Thu, 07 Jun 2001 23:53:25 -0700
From:      Marvin McNett <mmcnett@cs.ucsd.edu>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lpd problem

Garance,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm still having this strange problem.  I've
noticed that I need to restart lpd every time I log in (not just a boot
time as I originally stated).  This makes no sense to me.

Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> At 8:53 AM -0700 6/1/01, Marvin McNett wrote:
> >I'm having a problem with lpd when started at boot time (running
> >4.3-RELEASE).  When I subsequently try to print, my printer sounds
> >as if it's getting ready to print, but nothing is printed.
>
> What type of printer?  (serial-connection, parallel, usb, network?)
> Is this something which used to work for you on a previous version
> of freebsd, or is this the first time you've tried to set up this
> printer with freebsd?

The printer is a Lexmark Z32 attached to the parallel port.  The printer
uses a print filter written for Linux by Lexmark.  It seems to work fine
with Linux emulation (when the printer is working, of course).  I
originally thought that was the problem, but it doesn't make sense that
restarting lpd after login makes the printer work.

This is the first time I've tried to use the printer with FreeBSD, so I
don't know about other versions.

> >When I check the print que, it's empty.  Also, I'm getting no
> >errors from the print log (I've started with lpd -l).  However,
> >if I restart lpd after the machine has booted up, everything
> >seems to work just fine.
>
> If you forget to restart lpd, will jobs keep disappearing?  Or
> is it just the first job which disappears?

Yes, jobs just keep disappearing.

> What does your printcap entry look like?
>
> Also, do you have a /var/log/lpd-errs file?  Does that have any
> messages in it?

Here's my printcap:

lexmarkz32:\
     :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lexmarkz32:\
     :mx#0:\
     :sh:\
     :lp=/dev/lp0:\
     :if=/compat/linux/usr/local/lexmark/z32/z32.sh:\
     :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
z32-outfiles:\
     :sd=/var/spool/lpd/z32-outfiles:\
     :mx#0:\
     :sh:\
     :lp=/dev/lp0:\
     :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
lp:\
     :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
     :mx#0:\
     :sh:\
     :lp=/dev/lp0:\
     :if=/compat/linux/usr/local/lexmark/z32/z32.sh:\
     :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

Nothing looks out of the ordinary in the /var/log/lpd-errs file.

Eg.
Jun  7 22:19:52 zippy lpd[1072]: lpd startup: logging=1
Jun  7 22:19:52 zippy lpd[1072]: lpd startup: ready to accept requests
Jun  7 22:21:12 zippy lpd[1084]: zippy requests printjob lexmarkz32

but nothing prints.  As I mentioned, the printer only makes a few
initial noises.

I'm sure this is just something stupid, but I can't seem to figure it
out.

Thanks,
Marvin