Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 05:16:05 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1012994165.fc8303@mired.org>
To:        "Eric MaLossi" <emalossi@flash.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation problem

Eric MaLossi <emalossi@flash.net> types:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to install a new copy of v4.4 that I just bought.  I'm having
> problems completing the installation.  I've done the following three times.
>
> 1. selected the "Skip Kernel Configuration" option
> 2. selected "Standard installation"
> 3. created a 1GB slice on a blank 5G IDE drive
> 4. set the slice bootable
> 5. selected a standard MBR
> 6. selected auto default partitions
> 7. selected "Install All components"
> 8. selected "Install from CDROM"
> 9. confirmed installation
>
> Within 5 seconds the following msg is received:
> A signal 11 was caught.  I'm saving what I can and shutting down.  If you
> can reproduce the problem, please turn Debug on in the Options menu for the
> extra information it provides in debugging problems like these.

Sig 11 usually indicates a hardware problem. In this case, I'd suspect
some bit of hardware is reacting badly to FreeBSD probing for all the
devices it knows about. Instead of skipping the kernel configuration,
go through it, and delete everything that doesn't show up in the
config when you boot.

> I have to suspect that the CDROM is not being accessed as I never hear it
> spinning up.  However I watched as the Kernel was configuring itself and it
> does seem to identify the device correctly, SONY CDU571?

If it identified it, then it should access it.

> I'm not sure, nor can I find any information in the book on how one goes
> about turning on debug for the installation.  I don't see that as an option
> on any of the screens.  How should I best proceed?

Configure your kernel, and see if the sig 11's stop.

> Another problem that I am hitting is that if I don't accept the "Auto
> default partitions" and instead delete the /var and /usr partitions and then
> create a new /usr partition using the full space available, I will never see
> the Distribution menu, rather it will jump straight to the Installation
> Medium menu.

That strange, but not a serious problem. You'll get a chance to select
distributions later.

BTW, if this is your first install, I'd recommend deleting /var and
/usr, letting / take up 500MB, and create /home on the remainder. That
way, you can reinstall the system completely without mucking up your
stuff on /home. The default sizes in 4.4 date are ridiculously small
on modern drives. I understand this has been changed in 4.5, but
haven't looked at it.

	<mike