Date:      Mon, 01 Sep 1997 22:42:17 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Mark <markey@chcm.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question regarding multiboot w/ windows NT

At 11:22 PM 9/1/97 -0500, Mark wrote:
>In the faq, section 8.7, there is a description of the boot.ini file
>modified to include FreeBSD and Unix. We are advised to "copy the first
>sector of your native root FreeBSD or Linux partition into a file in the
>DOS/NT partition". How exactly is this done?
>I have a new SCSI controller and drive, and I plan on having one
>partition for DOS/NT and one for FreeBSD. I will be starting over from
>scratch with fresh installs, and after installing, bringing over data
>(zips, etc) from tape. Do you have any suggestions for a preferred
>procedure? I have heard that putting NT on first would be good, since
>Windows has a tendency to erase or otherwise mutilate other MBR data...?

http://www.dorsai.org/~dcl/publications/NTLDR_Hacking/

has lots of info on configuring NT's bootloader for different OSes.

And yes, install Windows 95/DOS first because it will wipe out your MBR.
You _could_ put NT's MBR back in by using an NT recovery disk, but it's
easier to just install Win95 first.
--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com   ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org
PGP Key & Geek Code available on web page     ^-- Updated 07/01/97