Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 16:14:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      media@mail1.nai.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   Re: possible bug in 3.1 STABLE

At 11:42 AM -0700 5/17/99, Doug White wrote:

>> >Hm...  Did you try the fix from the 3.1 ERRATA?
>>
>> Which fix??  I've read the Errata -- it didn't make any mention of this, or
>> a broken pipe error.  I am re-running /stand/install after rebooting
>> several times.  Perhaps I've read the wrong documents, where can I find the
>> specific Errata in question??
>
>What problem?  You chopped it off and I forgot.  Start over!

Not to sound unapreciative, but shouldn't you read a question before saying
it's already answered in the Errata??

>> I'm referring to the Errata at www.freebsd.org/releases/3.1R/errata.html
>
>This one.

OK : )  I've read that one.  It doesn't seem to apply.

Following the advice of the this list, I installed
3.1-STABLE-1990503 in place of 3.1-RELEASE.  I downloaded all new files from
releng3.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/spapshots/i386 and made new floppies.  I am
using a 133 Pentium w/64M RAM with no cd.  I then booted from the floppies
and went to install from my primary DOS partition.

It refused to install the src and XFree86 files.

I checked the list of distribution files it couldn't transfer or extract
against the contents of C:\FREEBSD\xf86333 and C:\FREEBSD\src  and they are
all there.

When I try to install these files after rebooting the installer crashes. I
enter stand/install from root and go to load them I get:

"Unable to transfer the scontrib distribution from wd0s1"

I try again.  It fails again.  I choose "no" to not try again, it moves on
to the next src file, tries, fails, I select "no" again, and boom:

"B
roken Pipe"

I get a root prompt that's blind (I can't see what I'm typing).  I type
"shutdown -h now" and it shuts down.  I reboot it and it seems the same.

I've repeated this several times.  Every time the same thing happens.  I
have not attempted to modify the OS in any way, or have installed any ports
or packages.

So, I'm thinking this is a bug.

THANX!!

PEACE OUT :)