Date:      Tue, 03 Aug 1999 00:32:33 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Mike Hoskins <mike@snafu.adept.org>
Cc:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Selfstyled arrogance?

Mike Hoskins wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Stephen McKay wrote:
>
> > It's very much a dispassionate "here are the facts of this situation"
> > message.  The lesson in it for us is that we should concentrate even more
> > on Linux Binary Compatibility.  Even the stupid bits.
>
> Call me stupid,

OK, you're stupid.  Hey, wait, you asked for it!  ;^)

> but I don't like seeing 'concentrate on' and 'stupid bits'
> in the same paragraph when referring to the FreeBSD Project...

Then you're obviously not one of those clamoring for us to "fix" the floppy
tape driver.

As has been ground in my face by Terry Lambert more often than I care to
remember, implementing Linux binary compatibility can be a treacherous
slope, due to some of the questionable architecture decisions on their
part.  Stupid things like their willingness to put a /proc interface on
the entire system lead misguided developers like StarCode to actually USE
these interfaces, resulting in software that can't be run on anything but
a Linux system, or a system that emulates the god-awful Linus /proc mess.

One word leaps immediately to mind: FUGLY.

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com