Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 1996 19:51:58 +0000
From:      Christoff Snijders <hjcs@portal.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Follow-up: Spontaneous Reboot

My original posting read:

> Subject:
>        Spontaneous reboots
>   Date:
>        Sat, 20 Apr 1996 00:05:40 +0000
>   From:
>        Christoff Snijders <hjcs@portal.ca>
>     To:
>        questions@freebsd.org
>

> Hi there, FreeBSD guru(s):
>
> Firstly, thanks for a really great product (FreeBSD)!  Oh, what the
> heck--thanks for a really great suite of products (BSDI, FreeBSD,
> NetBSD. . .)   :-)
>
> I posted a message on the comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc newsgroup, but
> haven't received any replies yet, so I thought I'd post a message here,
> too.
>
> Almost every morning (with literally one or two exceptions), for about
> the last four or five days, when I check my FreeBSD box, it has rebooted
> itself.  I checked the obvious (power), but that wasn't the problem.
>
> Instead, after some testing, I've discovered that it may be a matter of
> memory (Signal 11) errors which aren't given the chance to generate core
> dumps, but instead reboot the machine.
>
> I can reproduce one of the errors.  If I log in as one of my users who
> is on group wheel, and I run xdtm (from the ports collection), the
> program core-dumps (signal 11).  If I run the same command as root, it
> runs perfectly for a while, then core-dumps, too.  Okay, it could be a
> bad executable or buggy code, so not really serious.
>
> Serious, however, are the reboot problems, which are occurring with
> /etc/daily (run by cron at 02:00), which I have not (yet) modified from
> its original form.  Specifically, I think the problem is with find.
>
> >From time to time, even when I perform a find manually (though more
> rarely by this method than by cron)--say, for example,
>
> find / -name text.txt -print
>
> the machine will pause for a moment or two, and then reboot itself.
>
> While, in principle, I'm not unwilling to consider the possibility of
> faulty RAM or a faulty motherboard, I believe this is unlikely, since I
> am also running Windoze 95 on the same machine with a slew of (some
> really demanding, processor & FPU-wise) applications, and I receive no
> errors.
>
> The machine is a Gateway 2000, with
>
> Intel Pentium 120
> AMI BIOS
> 16MB EDO RAM
> STB Trio 64V+ video card (PCI)
> IDE Western Digital Caviar 21200 1.2GB hard disk
> Wearnes 6X IDE CD-ROM drive
> Telepath 28.8 Fax Modem
> 1.44MB 3.5" floppy drive
> PS/2-style mouse
> 104-key keyboard
>
> Any ideas?  With the exception of the occasional Signal 11 error, the
> machine is running fine, as is BSD, and I *really love* this operating
> system, and would love to see it run with stability.
>
> Is there anything in -STABLE or -CURRENT you think might solve my
> problems?
>
> Thanks in advance.

> [...]

FreeBSD gurus:

I thought I'd post a follow-up, since I think I've found the problem.

I did some testing this week-end, and I think the problem lies with the
IDE CD-ROM driver.  The system seems to function reliably, as long as I
don't mount any CD-ROMs (or DOS floppies).

I still can't explain why xdtm (from Ports) core-dumps when I use it
from my user name, but works when I run it as root (although, give it
five minutes and it core-dumps too).

Does my diagnosis sound about right (or at least plausible) to you?

Thanks in advance.

--
Christoff Snijders
hjcs@portal.ca