Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 14:10:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      <doug@safeport.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm kinda happy (wasI bought your system and am not so happy!)

I just had a rather serious omission pointed out to me. As I had
intended the message to be a sort of tutorial, I am including the
comments, without attribution since the message was sent privately.

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, JR~ wrote:

> [ On Thursday, March 7, doug@safeport.com wrote: ]
> >
> > All of that said, to build a kernel my cheat list is:
> >
> >     Read /usr/src/UPDATING.
> >
> >     make buildworld
> >     make buildkernel KERNCONF=client
> >
> >     make installkernel KERNCONF=client
> >     make installworld
> >
> >     run mergemaster and reboot
>
> you should ALWAYS reboot into single user mode ("boot -s" at the loader
> prompt) after the installkernel step to make sure that all your hardware is
> probed correctly. It is much easier to reverse an "installkernel" than it is
> to reverse an installworld should you reboot and find that something is
> screwed.

Thanks a good addition. As I have some systems that I do not always have
physical access to, I kick off all the users during the installs. I
believe the builds can run on a live system and the installs can be run
remotely with one user on (me :).

> It doesn't happen often but it has happened to me that a new kernel brakes
> something and an ATA disk doesn't probe, or my second NIC doesn't probe and
> attach or something. It's happened maybe twice in the 7 years I've run BSD but
> you learn the hard way after it happens to you once and you've got a "world"
> installed that no longer boots :(
>
> What I do is this:
>
>  cp /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KERNEL/kernel /kernel.new
>
> and then I "unload /kernel" and "load /kernel.new" at the boot prompt before
> booting into single user mode. If all goes well, then I reboot again using the
> "old" kernel and then do the whole installkernel and installworld steps.

Another good addition.

_____
Douglas Denault
doug@safeport.com