Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 03:01:35 GMT
From:      "J.Goodleaf" <john@goodleaf.net>
To:        Gustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios <gustavo@ifour.com.br>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: intel vs. AMD

AMD and Intel both use the x86 instruction set architecture. Therefore, no
"port" would be necessary to use FreeBSD on AMD chips. Many users on this
list report good success with AMD's stuff. My impression is that AMD CPUs
work quite well when paired with good quality motherboards (the most
important component). One thing to consider: You can't have dual Athlon or
Duron CPUs currently. You also don't have access to the snazzy new chipsets
from Serverworks. If you need/want a dual proc machine, you must go Intel.

Please check the mailing list archives for more info.
-John