Date:      31 Jan 2004 12:45:50 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        "Randy Grafton" <rgrafton@indatacorp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File Corruption

"Randy Grafton" <rgrafton@indatacorp.com> writes:

> ourselves through ftp/sftp and sure enough the file is no longer
> functional and we'll have to replace it with another copy. I googled
> and searched the lists but have only found tips regarding speeding up
> http downloads, (reverting to the current Apache 1.3.x
> version).

It sounds like hardware trouble to me.  The obvious culprit would be a
dodgy disk, but you should probably make sure that it isn't really a
RAM problem (maybe the file is being cached by the OS).  The next time
you see a corrupt file, you could try rebooting and see if the file
still seems corrupt.  If not, then you probably have a RAM problem.

To guard against data corruption (it's a fabulously rare occurrence on
properly-functioning equipment, but I have data that I'd like to still
have accessible in 50 years), I use mtree(8) to checksum all of the
files in some of my subdirectory trees, to see if they've changed
lately.  This would probably be a useful tool in this case, too (at
least until the real problem is fixed, although there's no real reason
to stop at that point), so that the corrupt files can be caught before
customers notice.

It is, of course, also possible that the source of the corruption is a
bug.  I don't recall any reports of such problems on UFS filesystems,
but you might want to consider updating to FreeBSD 4.9 on that server.

Good luck.