Date:      Sat, 03 May 2008 15:35:57 +0200
From:      Volker <volker@vwsoft.com>
To:        Matthias Apitz <matthias.apitz@oclc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nozomi driver (was: Vodafone Mobile Connect HSDPA/UMTS/EDGE datacard supported?)

On 12/23/-58 20:59, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Normally I'm using for UMTS an 'Option GT 3G/3G quad datacard' which is
> supported fine since FreeBSD 6.2++ by the ubsa(4) driver;
>
> Yesterday I've got a new card (and was lucky not giving away the working
> one) which does not attach to any driver; the only information I have is
> what is written on the cover of the device:
>
> upper side:
> Vodafone Mobile Connect HSDPA/UMTS/EDGE datacard
> lower side:
> Model GT 3G+ EMEA
> designed in E.U. by Option
> SNR: NL246970CJ
>
> on plug-in into the slot the kernel says:
>
> May  2 16:58:23 rebelion kernel: cardbus0: <network> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)
> May  2 16:58:23 rebelion root: Unknown Cardbus device: device 0x000c class 0x028000 vendor 0x1931 bus cardbus0
>
> I've Google'd around with the vendor id 0x1931 and the only hit is some
> thread in a French Linux kernel group about a patch for some piece of
> code drivers/char/nozomi.c naming the device code 0x000c and vendor
> id:
>
> +#define VENDOR1                 0x1931 /* Vendor Option */
> +#define DEVICE1                 0x000c /* HSDPA card */
>
> Is there some work in FreeBSD for this card? Thx

Matthias,

no real life of a working driver, but a preliminary piece of code, which
may get your device working can be found here:

http://bsd.vwsoft.com/3g/nozomi/

Please grab the Makefile and nozomi.c file.

Big fat warning: This code currently can't make it into the fBSD source
tree, as it contains portions of GPL'd code.

At least you should get your device in a working state with that code.
The host interface of that card is totally different to that of other
cards so you won't have any luck with any other drive from the base system.

Please report back to me if you find any issues (as I'm not using 3G
cards very often these days anymore).

HTH

Volker