Date:      Sat, 31 May 2003 15:27:47 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <dev-null@NUXI.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Moving some items out of src/sbin to src/usr.sbin

On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 08:09:57AM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 01:22:21PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> >On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 12:38:49PM -0700, Gordon Tetlow wrote:
> >> To cut down on the size of a dynamically-linked root, I'd like to
> >> repo-copy the following utilities from src/sbin to src/usr.sbin:
> >>
> >> mount_portalfs
> >> mount_nwfs
> >> mount_smbfs
> >> natd
> >> ipnat
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any objections?
> >
> >yes to natd.
>
> David, would you like to go into a bit more detail please.
> NAT is normally used at boundaries between different privilege zones
> (though this isn't its only use) and it would seem unusual to mount
> /usr from a different privilege zone to the local system.  Normally,
> natd is started before ipfw rules are loaded, but I don't believe
> there is a requirement for a process to be bound to a divert socket
> before diversion rules are added.

Not really.  Just to say that as a user of natd and one that knows how
fragile ipfw & natd are to passing packets I don't want to disturb things.
I want to see some people (other than me) experiment with this the natd
issue before it is moved.

> IMHO, it's reasonable to assume/require that /usr be a 'native'
> filesystem - so MS-DOS, NTFS, Netware and SMB are not needed - though
> If Gordon is looking for programs to move from /sbin to /usr/sbin,
> mount_msdos, mount_ntfs, mountd, nfsd and maybe ipfstat all seem
> candidates.  The first two are covered above.  IMHO, there's no point
> a machine becomming a NFS server before it has /usr mounted - which
> covers the next two.  Finally, ipfstat is not needed to configure
> IPFilter - just monitor it.

Native also covers NFS mounted /usr and UFS /, and Gordon didn't mention
that he had carefully looked at /etc/rc.d/* and the implications of
moving things.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)