Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2000 22:00:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ben Eisenbraun <bpeisenbraun@yahoo.com>
To:        Alwyn Goodloe <agoodloe@gradient.cis.upenn.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: network testbed setup question

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000, Alwyn Goodloe wrote:

> One machine acts as a router between the two networks. I have two nic
> cards in the router and  just string normal 10base T cable between  it
> and the clients (i couldn't see the need for something more complicated
> but please feel free to correct me).

NIC-NIC cables (with no switch/hub in between) need to be crossover
cables--not straight through ethernet.  That may be what you meant by
"normal 10base T", but I figured it was worth checking.

Diagram for ethernet crossover cables can be found here:

http://www.ptsi.net/support/crossover.htm

HTH.

-ben