Date:      27 Jan 1998 16:42:23 +0100
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        joelh@gnu.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: File I/O in kernel land (was: Re: 2nd warning: 2.2.6 BETA begins in 10 days!)

Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> writes:
> > >  1 not set the flag (that's probably a bad idea, as it's what tells
> > >    syscons not to futz with anything)
> > Exactly what dire consequences can this have?
> Look for everything else that tests for it.  Anything that does so, and
> isn't guarded against the screensaver being active, is a candidate for
> problems.  It's possible that there aren't any; I just threw a quick
> eye over stuff.

There seems to be quite a bit. I'll try to find an alternate solution.

> I would be most worried about console switches; you want to make sure
> that you get out of the screensaver before the switch happens.

For instance, the splashkit completely bombs the machine if it is
still on when X starts (I have xdm in rc.local)...

--
 * Finrod (INTJ) * Unix weenie * dag-erli@ifi.uio.no * cellular +47-92835919 *
  RFC1123: "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"