Date:      Sat, 02 May 1998 21:02:12 +0100
From:      Manar Hussain <manar@ivision.co.uk>
To:        "Francisco Reyes" <reyesf@newsguy.com>
Cc:        "Javier Henderson" <javier@kjsl.com>, "freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SMTP vs Spam

>I don't know if it is POP3, but the email i am using to reply to you,
>and used to send the original question, uses "POP" to send email.
>This authenticates the user.
<snip>
>After I asked about POP they told me they support it. I changed my
>client to send mail through POP with them. For those who don't have
>POP on their email clients they simply will not allow email to be
>sent through their SMTP server. They are not an ISP; they are a
>presence provider (i.e. WEB pages, Email accounts).

ISPs can set things so that only those connecting via them can send email -
the kind of company you are talking about can't. What such companies can do
is detect when you *collect* mail via pop on their server (you *can't* send
mail via pop) and work out from this what machine you are using and then
allow this machine (for a period of time) to send mail out via their mail
server. I think this is what's happening in your case.

Manar