Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 03:14:35 GMT
From:      "J.Goodleaf" <john@goodleaf.net>
To:        "robin richman" <robinrichman@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hi I hope that you can help me..

I have roughly the same set up--ADSL line with static IP, DNS, mail server
and FTP (not anonymous FTP). Also an Apache server, although I've been too
lazy to do much with it.

I'm not sure where to begin giving you advice, and there are others better
qualified hereabouts, so I'll just say the following:
-Yes, FreeBSD works fine for these purposes. Linux would also work fine. I
happen to prefer FBSD, but you could use either OS.
-To avoid headaches, you want a static IP.
-Check sites like freebsddiary.org, mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd,
defcon1.com and freebsd.org/handbook. These can help you get set up with
the software components you'll want.
-Don't expect it to happen perfectly the first time.
-Life is better without sendmail. Replace it with postfix or qmail.
-Do a lot more background reading and then approach the list with specific
questions.
Good luck.

-J