Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 1997 03:58:12 -0600
From:      Tony Overfield <tony@dell.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        mini@d198-232.uoregon.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: x86 gods; advice? Suggestions?

At 10:21 AM 11/9/97 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:

[Tremendous amounts of nine-fingered vm86 task creation and operational
ideas deleted]

>This sort of answers Tony Overfield's "3.  Something else..." question:
>you can get a Task Gate Descriptor in the LDT or GDT or IDT.  This means
>"Something else..." can be triggered by:

Uh no.  Let's see if we can follow the thread....

[Here, it's clear that Terry and Tony aren't on the same page. :-( ]

In reference to bootloader ideas, and referring to calling the real-mode
BIOS calls from the kernel initialization code, Tony asked:

> Speaking of vm86(), why not just use real-mode?  It's easier and much
> better for compatibility while booting.

In response, Mike asked (rhetorically, I think) how one could load
the kernel into memory without using protected mode at all:

>How do you copy the kernel into memory > 1M in real mode?  If you could
>elaborate on this (and how to *stay* in real mode while running over
>1M, ie. so that the kzip pass and subsequent real-mode startup
>requirements could be met), I'd be *very*happy*

[Here, it's clear that Mike and Tony weren't on the same page. :-( ]

Terry's suggestion to load the kernel into memory without using
protected mode at all is this:

>There are several ways to do this.  The main one uses a call that drops
>into protected mode, changes a 64k mapping at the top of the 1M
>you can get at, and goes back to protected mode.

[Here, it's clear that Terry and Mike weren't on the same page. :-( ]

Wondered which of the possible "real-mode" only approaches Terry
was thinking about, I said:

>I can't tell, but I think you're talking about one of these:
>
>1.  ... switching to protected mode, setting larger segment limits
>    and then switching back to real mode.
>
>2.  ... the real mode trick of using FFFF:xxxx addressing.
>
>3.  Something else.

[Here, it's clear that Tony and Terry weren't on the same page. :-( ]

So there we are.  Terry misunderstood the question asked by Mike
who misunderstood the question asked by Tony, who probably asked
an ambiguous question to begin with.  Sorry.

I *never* have this problem with people I already know.

Dang this "language" stuff we're forced to use to communicate.  ;-/

-
Tony