From:      cal@rushe.aero.org
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        cal@rushe.aero.org
Subject:   Re: user ppp on 4.0 - Bad File Descriptor - MORE INFO

hihi, all -

i was getting a "Bad File Descriptor" error from user ppp running 4.0 when i
typed "term" to talk to the modem directly

well, i fixed the problem on one machine - the manufacturer (dell) had said
that it (the modem) was using COM5, but apparently that was only because
COM1-4 were already conventionally defined, though COM2-4 were not being used
in my particular hardware configuration - when i defined sio[0-3] with
sio[1-3] disabled in my FreeBSD 4.0 kernel configuration file, dmesg reported
the modem at sio4 - when i additionally defined sio[45], trying to make the
modem assignment explicit, dmesg reported the modem at sio6, and when i also
defined sio[67], dmesg reported the modem at sio8 - when i noticed this
combination of behaviors, i decided that it meant that one extra sio place was
being allocated for the modem AFTER all of the ones i defined (whether or not
they were disabled) - when i took all of the sio[1-7] definitions out of the
kernel configuration completely (not just disabled, but not present at all),
ppp started to work

more later,
cal

Dr. Christopher Landauer