Date:      Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:00:44 -0700
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@bitfreak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bluetooth management software?

Darren,

> Now that Bluetooth is edging itself into production with the talk of merging
> the related scripts into /etc, I'm wondering if the user side of things has
> come along as well?

probably not as one would hope.

> When I got my mouse, phone and PDA working with FreeBSD, it took
> considerable work: looking at communications, grabbing IDs, manually editing
> files, etc.

well, yes, i agree. things could be better.

> But in certain other OSen, Bluetooth is managed with an app capable of
> configuring services, searching for and adding new devices.  Does such
> user-land software exist in FreeBSD?  Preferably a CLI with an optional X
> front end?

i not really sure what are you talking about here. it is true - there is
no user gui interface, but cli tools are there.

1) configuring services: if you mean configure services on freebsd side
then its up to the application providing service to configure it. for
example rfcomm_pppd(8) or obexapp(1) from ports will register services
with local sdpd(8). all you need to do is to make sure sdpd(8) is
running and when you start rfcomm_pppd(8) or obexapp(1) they will
register LAN or OPUSH service with sdpd(8).

2) searching for devices: hccontrol inquiry

3) searching for services: sdpcontrol(8) cli or libsdp(3) application
interface

4) i'm not sure what do you mean by "adding new devices". i know in
windows you will have a separate com port if you want to use "serial
port" service, but freebsd you do not need to. in freebsd you will use
pty(4).

thanks,
max