Date:      Wed, 03 Nov 1999 10:26:38 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GENERIC build broken

> :I'm offended, and a little amused.  You say "you aren't listening to
> :what I'm saying", yet you have quoted a paragraph in which I say
> :"... it doesn't require any buy-in from motherboard vendors."
> :
> :Are you calling me a liar, or stupid, or are you not reading what I'm
>
>     No, I'm just giving you the reality.  Until I can buy *generic*
>     motherboards and/or ethernet cards that actually netboot, what
>     standards a few of them might use is moot.

You can.  Go do it.  Guess what I'm working on PXE with?  Yes, if you
make a bad buying choice on the network card, you're going to spend a
few dollars on a bootprom.  *shrug*   Welcome to "bootable" vs.
"non-bootable" network cards.

>     We have exactly the same issues with netbooting that we had with CDRom
>     booting.

Actually, what we have is the same set of issues that we've had with
booting from cards with their own firmware since about 1986.  (Possibly
earlier; that's just when I first got involved with it.)

By your logic, until motherboards have options for controlling the boot
order of eg. plug-in SCSI adapters there is no point in you buying
plug-in SCSI adapters.  So what have you been using for the last
thirteen years?