Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 1995 09:57:22 -0400
From:      Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>
To:        gryphon@healer.com, peter@taronga.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

To: gryphon@healer.com (Coranth Gryphon)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 08:35:50 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: hackers@freebsd.org, peter@taronga.com, ports@freebsd.org

From: peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
> Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@heale.com> wrote:
> +> Crontab entries, yes. Package data, I could go either way with.

> Package data could equally well go in /usr/local.
> It really doesn't belong in /var.
> I'll buy "at" in var. I think /etc/dumpdates might go in /var as well.

This all works for me.

>> > This is a problem anyway, since there are other per-machine config files
>> > in /usr/local.

> +> That's part of the complaint. They shouldn't be.

> /usr/local/ghostscript/3.0/Fontmap?

OK. Something I do not use, so have no experience with.

The general point is that if it can reasonable change from system to
system, then it belongs in /etc. If it definately will change from system
to system, put it in one easy-to-get-to place (I use /etc/inet for
all my host-specific files). If it is a generic configuration that won't
likely ever change, it can go anywhere it wants.

-coranth

Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>      |  "Faith Manages."      |
                                          |        - Satai Delenn  |
Phone: 603-598-3440   Fax: 603-598-3430   +------------------------+
USMail: 11 Carver St, Nashua, NH  03060
Disclaimer: All these words are yours, except Europa...