Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 14:18:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris Piazza <cpiazza@home.net>
To:        Andrew Heybey <ath@niksun.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP nerd toy report

On 22-Apr-99 Andrew Heybey wrote:
>>>On Thu, 22 Apr 1999 14:03:54 -0700 (PDT), Chris Piazza <cpiazza@home.net>
>>>said:
>
>   cpiazza> Hmm... IMO that's not a very good speed, though it might
>   cpiazza> prove how I/O based buildworld is.  My K6-2 300 (100mhz
>   cpiazza> FSB) with 96 megs of ram does a buildworld in 75-80 minutes
>   cpiazza> without any '-j' flags, and this is a single processor!
>
> Well, this is in part why I sent mail--I have no idea what is good or
> not.  I meant I'm a happy nerd more in the "look at my neat SMP toy"
> as opposed to "look how fast buildworld runs".  I do know that the
> speed of make world is dependent to a large extent on the speed of
> your disks and how many spindles you have.  How many disks do you have
> and where is your /usr/src and /usr/obj?
>
> At work I have a 450MHz PII with multiple 10000RPM SCSI disks, though
> I have never actually timed make buildworld on it.  I should.

Understood, I use a single 5400 RPM UDMA Ide disk with the new ATA drivers -
/usr/obj and /usr/src are on the same partition.  I'm *extremely* pleased with
this system as my P166 took over 4 hours(!).  I'd be interested in seeing what
a difference SCSI over IDE has in a buildworld.

---
Chris Piazza    Abbotsford, BC, Canada
           cpiazza@home.net
finger norn@norn.ca.eu.org for PGP key