Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 19:17:35 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Geoffrey Robinson <geoff@grobin.org>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Jail: Problems? Proper Usage? Status? Practicality?

>I have setup a test jail on my workstation with good results. The first
>problem I have found is that I can't access the jailed IP at all from the
>host system, nor the host system from the jailed one. However both host
>and jailed IPs are accessible to other machines on the network. Is this
>intentional?

Sounds like some kind of configuration error in your end.  It works fine
for me.  In general it is best to add the IP aliases to the lo0 interface.

>Finally how secure is jail really?

I don't know of any way to escape.  There are a few known things where
someone in a jail can make a nuisance of themselves, but not a way for
them to break out.

>Is jail still under active development?

I would call it "under normal maintenance", there are no planned new
features on the way.

>Is it worth the trouble to do any of this?

Now how would *I* know ?  :-)

FreeBSD coreteam member | BSD since 4.3-tahoe