Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 23:22:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local

Hi David,

What do you think about adding a new font directory (shipped empty)
where applications can install fonts?  Right now ports that install
fonts either have to create their own directory (leaving it to the
user to edit /etc/XF86Config or add it to their private font path by
xset +fp) or stuff it in misc (getting it all mixed up with what the
system ships).

Most ports put them in misc and run mkfontdir themselves, but
the fonts.alias file might get overwritten when X is upgraded.  (I
haven't tested this myself---I always install it in a separate
directory and build a symlink tree.  Please correct me if it does
something more sophisticated like trying to merge the new aliases with
existing ones.)

All the problems could be solved if XFree86 ships with an empty font
directory (say, /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local) where ports can
install whatever they want.  That way the users don't have to worry
about editing /etc/XF86Config and ports don't have to worry about
fonts.alias getting overwritten.  The XFree86 distribution can include
no fonts.alias and run mkfontdir upon installation (to make sure a
fonts.dir exists).

This also makes it easier for people to see exactly what came with the
distribution and what are add-ons.

What do you think?

Satoshi