Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 20:33:53 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
To:        FBSDQ <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can postfix retrive mail from user ISP mailbox?

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 01:05:36PM -0500, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:
> I read that sendmail can request mail retrieval from a ISP mail account.
>
> Can postfix do this?

Any MTA can do this with the SMTP protocol, if your ISP allows it (most
don't).
Possibilities are:

- Your ISP will inititate SMTP connections to you to send mail. This is
  also not very common but my ISP actively supports it.
- Your ISP when you connect to it with SMTP (as when sending mail) you
  can send an ETRN request. This asks the remote MTA to initiate a
  connection back to you to send any mail you have. Most ISP's won't let
  you do this either (mine won't) because there is a perceived security
  risk.

Postfix (any MTA in fact) will handle this.

That's for SMTP.

For POP, IMAP .. I will leave the explanation to someone who uses it :)

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson -- <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>