Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2000 19:30:02 -0500
From:      rl@overlypub.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   hardware incompatibility?

I am having a problem with FreeBSD 3.3 where 1 out of every 10 boots it
hangs right after:

	Verifying DMI Pool Data ........

	F1    FreeBSD

	Default: F1

	_
	BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.01
	Console: internal video/keyboard
	BIOS drive A: is disk0
	BIOS drive B: is disk1

	FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.7  640/64512kB
	(jkh@highwing.cdrom.com, Thu Sep 16 22:16:41 GMT 1999)
	/kernel text=0x1e83ca data=0x1e7b4+0x20e90
syms=[0x4+0x27220+0x4+0x273fd]
	Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
	Booting [kernel]...

My hardware is:

Motherboard: Biostar M5ALA ver 2.0
CPU: AMD K62 400 MHz
RAM: 64MB PC100
Hard Drive: Seagate ST31082A
Ethernet Card: 3com Etherlink XL (3c900)
Video Card: Cirrus Logic PCIC

This problem occurs repeatedly on a fresh install of FreeBSD using nothing
but defaults for a Kern-Developer install/des,krb/Linux.  There are no
entries into /var/log/messages pertaining to this problem.

I've swapped around similar parts thinking it is a hardware thing. The
problem is not nearly as bad on a M5ALA ver 1.1 Motherboard.

After much time troubleshooting and trying to narrow down the problem, I
was hoping someone had some suggestions as to what else I should look for,
or is this just a bad choice of hardware?

RussellL