Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2001 22:25:18 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        mckay@thehub.com.au
Subject:   Problems reading burned CDs

Some months ago I made vague assertions that one must use a 2 kilobyte
block size when reading raw CD data, or risk missing the last part of
the CD.  Then I couldn't reproduce it, so blamed some mystery past version
of FreeBSD.

Actually, the difference is pressed vs burned CDs.

If I read pressed CDs they all seem to end with a very long run of blocks
of zeroes.  No problem if I try to read a large block straddling the
logical end of disk.

But burned CDs appear to end suddenly, and a read request straddling the
end of data will fail, and the partial contents will not be returned.

Here is an example from reading a (short) burned CD on a Toshiba
XM-5701 SCSI CD-ROM, on a 4.3-R system:

# dd if=/dev/cd1c of=/dev/null bs=2k
dd: /dev/cd1c: Input/output error
8367+0 records in
8367+0 records out
17135616 bytes transferred in 88.964899 secs (192611 bytes/sec)

# dd if=/dev/cd1c of=/dev/null bs=4k
dd: /dev/cd1c: Input/output error
4183+0 records in
4183+0 records out
17133568 bytes transferred in 88.895442 secs (192738 bytes/sec)

Also, the system logs "Random positioning error" scsi errors, and there
is a 60 second lag between reading the last sector and actually reporting
the error (for retries, I presume).  The 60 second delay explains the
abysmal read speed, so don't panic about that.

Checking on my burner, the error logged is "Illegal mode for this track"
which causes no extra delay.  But it still truncates the last block,
losing data.

My IDE cdrom does not log any sort of error, nor suffer an end-of-media
delay, but it gets the size wrong by one sector.  I'm told this has been
fixed in -stable, but I've not checked.  Anyway, this indicates to me
that this is a SCSI CD problem, not a general CD problem.

Is there any way around these problems with SCSI CD drives?

Stephen.