Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 2009 08:45:08 +0800
From:      Alex Jurkiewicz <alex@bluebottle.net.au>
To:        Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: restore(8)ing new / -- boots on metal but not in a VM

2009/10/13 Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>:
> Is the virtual machine using SCSI emulation to boot, or is it using IDE?
>
> SCSI drives are da(4), IDE drives are ata(4) [aka ad(4)]

The dump was taken from an ad0 device on physical hardware, and I'm
attempting to restore to the same, just on virtual hardware.

> If the boot blocks (maybe boot0 specific) point to an ad/ata device,
> and the virtual machine is SCSI, it won't find the boot sectors.

So, if I make a dumpfile of / on an ad(4) device, I can't restore it
to a da(4) device and expect it to boot? I guess at minimum I'll need
two copies of this image if I want to roll it out on machines with
both sorts of drive, right?

Thanks,
AJ