Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 20:21:20 -0500
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        <fabrizio.fresco@netsiel.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: routing with PPPoE/DSL on a dual homed gateway

On 11 Jan 2002 at 3:09, fabrizio.fresco@netsiel.it wrote:

> > Everythings working.  AFAIK.  It's all fine.  It's just that I don't
> > know
> >
> > why it's working....
>
> You are using the tun0 interface and via pppo(ver)e(thernet) you talk with
> your isp. You have a default route, via the tun0 interface, what's wrong ?

What is wrong is that I don't undertand *WHY* it works.

I understand that tun0 has the public IP address.

I am quite sure that the DSL modem is connected to this computer via the
NIC vr0.  I checked this by setting up a ping to yahoo.com.  There are
two NICs in this box.  If I unplug xl0, the pings continues.  If I unplug
vr0, the pings stop.  I therefore conclude that I conclude that tun0 is
routing out via vr0.  How does that work if vr0 has no IP address?
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/ - practical examples